Effective July 20, 2020, the following processes will change.
eVoucher Procedure for Requests for Excess Expert Funds
Effective July 20, 2020, ex parte motions for excess expert funds are no longer to be filed on the docket in CM/ECF. Counsel will submit requests for excess expert funds through eVoucher using an AUTH (Authorization for Expert and Other Services) form. The use of eVoucher for expert fund requests will allow for counsel to view budget reports and track the amount of funds authorized and expended.
Any expenditure/compensation over the maximum statutory limit for an expert or other outside service must be authorized in advance by the Court. The AUTH will allow counsel to request funds for such services in excess of the statutory limit. The following documentation will be required to be attached to the AUTH for judicial review.
- Memorandum in Support of Excess Compensation
- The Expert’s Curriculum Vitae (CV)/resumé or any other documentation to support the services/expenses, including hourly rate and estimated number of hours requested. Counsel should refer to the CJA Service Provider Rates sheet available on the Court’s website.
- Failure to include required documentation will result in the AUTH being returned and cause delay.
Once the AUTH is approved, counsel will be able to create the expert’s voucher and link it to the appropriate AUTH. Counsel are required to attach documentation including the memorandum in support as well as any receipts with proof of payment for expenses over $50.00.
If the AUTH is not approved, counsel may file an Ex Parte Motion for Reconsideration with the Court. Counsel shall include the denied eVoucher AUTH as an attachment to the motion.
eVoucher Procedure for Requests for Excess CJA Attorney Funds
Effective July 20, 2020, ex parte motions for excess attorney compensation are no longer required to be filed on the docket in CM/ECF.
- Once compensation exceeds the maximum statutory limit, counsel will submit an interim or final voucher together with a Memorandum in Support of Excess Compensation which must be addressed to the presiding judge, supporting and justifying their claim. The memorandum shall include a description of the work completed in the instant voucher and be attached on the Documents tab.
- Counsel may alternatively prepare the CJA 26 form (Statement for a Compensation Claim in Excess of the Statutory Case Compensation Maximum (District Court)) as their memorandum and attach it as a PDF to their voucher on the Documents tab.
- Failure to include required documentation will result in the voucher being returned and cause delay.